News >> Displaying items by tag: Los Angeles


Displaying items by tag: Los Angeles

“I want to build this.” “No!” What to do when the city says no to your construction project

It never fails. You have a multi-million dollar idea of putting a particular business at a particular location. The corner is perfect. The demographics suit the nature and demand of the store, service or restaurant. There is just one big problem-the city is not on board. Just what can be done when a city (township, borough, village, county or parish) is not inclined to allow your project? First off, you cannot hear a “no” without first proposing a question. So you would undoubtedly speak to and present your proposal to city staff and they would give you a reason for the denial. Are you proposing a commercial business in a residential zone? Is your proposed use not allowed in a particular zone?  They would cite a code (if they don’t, ask them to) and then you could do your own research Research – Is the information that city staff is telling you accurate? Remember the person at a city counter can make a mistake. There may be exceptions within the code that they were not aware of and fail to inform you of. They may have even mistyped the address and given you the wrong development criteria. Double-check their work! Often the city code is online and accessible for you to do your own homework. Second, if your project is not an allowable use, find out if the project can be done using planning tools such as a variance or conditional use permit (a.k.a. CUP). Exceptions – Can I do this via a variance or conditional use permit? In virtually all jurisdictions, you can propose whatever you would like to build; however, you would also do well to get feedback on whether said variance/CUP would be supported or not by the city code before vesting in the site. Next, if your proposed use is not allowed by right or does not qualify for a variance or CUP you can always move up the departmental ladder to get help. In departments, the highest ranking official is usually the Senior Planner or Planning Director.  If your proposed project does not meet the code or gain their support, your next alternative is to approach legislative bodies to seek a code amendment, or legislative solution to get your project approved.  Examples of legislative bodies include, City Council, the Mayor’s office, the economic development lead agency or the Planning Commission.  The legislative route best suites large developments that can boast public benefits such as new revenues and job creation.  The political machine tends to favor projects that generate tax revenue and jobs. While this list is not necessarily exhaustive, it should provide you a foundation of some of the options to receive the “blessings” from city staff for your project.  One must also realize that there is still the possible reality that a project cannot be built at all. If it does not fall under the jurisdiction’s criteria for that zone, cannot be built according to building codes, and cannot be achieved through any sort of variance, you’ll have to face the facts that the project simply cannot be built. James Matthews serves as a Senior Project Manager at Permit Place, a national building permit and land entitlement solutions provider. James may be contacted at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it "> This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it "> This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

Permit Expediters and Planners - Meet The Staff at Permit Place

Permit Expediters and Planners - Meet the Staff at Permit Place Permit Place friendly staff consist of professional and knowledgable staff that can help you get your permits fast.  Here's a look at where we work and who you will deal with.  Send them a note saying you saw them on the video.

Restaurant Permit - Featured Permit Service

Restaurant Permits | Featured ServiceToday in our blog we feature our Restaurant Permit service. Actually, it should be called Food Service Use permit because it also covers Grocery Stores and Convenience Stores as well.Basically, anything you do with food is called by the authorities as a food use.  That means if you are service, selling or consuming it, you guessed it.  You got a food use.  What we do for restaurant, grocery stores or convenience stores.The two most important questions for you to ask when opening a cafe or restaurant is:1) Will you serve alcohol?If you are serving alcohol, you are in luck.  Permit Place Liquor License services specializes in securing ABC licenses as well as the Conditional Use Beverage process in the City of Los Angeles.  Remember, from the Top Ten Tips, the City of Los Angeles makes you go through two (2) processes.  The Conditional Use Beverage (CUB) process in the City of LA and the State of California ABC licensing.  We are experts in both processes and can save you weeks, if not months, off of the application processing time.2) What was in the space beforeIf you are looking at leasing a space, find out from the City if the location had a food use associated with it.  That's what our Property Records Research service is all about.  We research the property's certificate of occupancy and find out if the previous occupant had a food use associated with it.  If you change your use from another use to (For example, a dentist office) to a cafe you will need to apply (in Los Angeles, at least) for a Change of Use permit.  Very simply, in commercial property, if you are going to remodel an existing facility and you are not putting the same type of business back into the space, then you are changing it's use.  For example, you take over a dentist's office and open a bakery.  You are changing the use from a medical use to a food use.  Permit Place will also submit your plans to the Health Department and the Fire Department.  We will manage your signage permits as well. Our restaurant permit service can also manage your Utilities permits as well.  This is a huge value and a massive time savers.  It's all bundled or we offer ala carte service as well.  If you are trying to get a restaurant open, please rememberHealth permitBuilding PermitOutdoor Seating PermitSign PermitFire PermitConditional Use PermitABC License PermitsWe do it all so you don't have to deal with it. You can look up all the websites for every city at Permit Place's Building Department Database where we have links to all the cities websites.  We are always available for permit expediting, liquor license permit services or entitlement services.  Call us today at 818-786-8960 to discuss your project.

City of Los Angeles Property Records can be key to your property

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 City of Los Angeles Property Records key to finding out about your property Those that are looking to take advantage of the many homes on the market, need to secure copies of the permits on the property before they buy. You may be buying illegal construction. “Any issues with the properties from illegal additions to code violations become the responsibility of the new owner”, said Mike Robinson, President of Permit Place, a land use, entitlement and permit expediting firm.  “Many people think that just because the price is low that it’s a good deal, but many properties including foreclosures and distressed properties can have illegal additions, sub-standard work or code violations that the new owner can be made responsible for correcting the problem”, states Robinson. Homeowners should ask the seller or the seller’s realtor to research the property and find out if there are building permits and certificates of occupancy issued on any new additions.  The seller should provide the buyer with copies of permits confirming that the square footage on the property matches all existing permits on the property. For example, if the property built in 1999 has two bedrooms and a bath and the seller added a new bedroom and bathroom, the buyer should check to see that the original permits and certificate of occupancy show the original square footage and that the permits show the new, correct additional square footage. For those located in Los Angeles not comfortable with completing the research on their own, Permit Place provides a service to research building permits and provide copies of these permits for you or your broker.    The service to starting in the City and County of Los Angeles costs $60.00 plus the costs of copies, gives those selling properties a chance to find out what permits, certificates of occupancy have been issued on the property or will verify which additions on the property have been permitted. Permit Place has been providing property research for commercial and residential property since 2001.  For more information, please contact Caitlin Hallerman at 818-786-8960 or email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or go to